At SHIP, we recognize that for individuals with mental illness having a safe, secure and affordable place to live is integral to achieving improved quality of life and recovery.
SHIP is Passionate about Client Advocacy
We advocate for fundamental rights. The right to:
- Safe, affordable, Healthy Housing ™
- Financial and human resources necessary to provide effective in-house and/or community-based mental health services
The Greatest Tool of Advocacy is Education
After more than two decades of housing and mental health service provision to individuals with mental illness, we have discovered that there are many highly effective ways to advocate for our clients.
Whether for the right to Healthy Housing ™, effective mental health services, or a sense that our clients are welcome members of their communities – SHIP utilizes the power of education to support client advocacy.
At SHIP, we help people understand the realities of mental illness from their own perspective. We replace misinformation and misunderstanding with the facts and thereby encourage housing and mental health service providers to recognize the potential of our clients. We strive to reduce the stigma our clients experience by working closely with and providing education to:
- Clients (current and those on our waiting lists)
- Families (valued members of the circle of care)
- Housing Providers (landlords and other community-based housing agencies)
- Mental Health Service Providers (community-based agencies and hospitals)
- Funders (from all levels of government and from the private sector)
- The Community
We educate our clients, their families and their significant others on:
- the realities of living with a mental illness; and
- resources available in the community and how they can access them.
Our goal is to increase knowledge and understanding about ways in which we can support clients on their journey to recovery.
Formal Presentations and Workshops
SHIP’s Presentations and Education Team (PET) speaks to our efforts on behalf of our client population. Audiences typically range from prospective landlords to community-based organizations seeking to provide Healthy Housing ™ and services for specialized populations.
We offer two-hour, half-day or full-day seminars and workshops that cover a variety of informative topics including:
- creating successful partnerships and collaborations,
- Healthy Housing ™ principles,
- facilitating client wellness and recovery; and
- strategies for effective advocacy.
For additional information and to book a seminar or workshop, contact firstname.lastname@example.org